Heating question

Discussion and information relating to the AntsCanada Hybrid Nest Series.

Moderator: ooper01

Rovvov99

Heating question

Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:01 am

I'm considering buying a Hybrid nest Small, but I have a little question, can I use my heating mat with it ?
I know that it has a fitting for a heating cable, but I don't have one.

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Re: Heating question

Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:40 pm

Rovvov99 wrote:I'm considering buying a Hybrid nest Small, but I have a little question, can I use my heating mat with it ?
I know that it has a fitting for a heating cable, but I don't have one.
Placing the nest on a mat with the water in the moisture tray will cause it to create a lot of condensation inside the nest (don't ask me how I know this...LOL), thats why it's designed to have a very low heat on the end of it allowing the heat to transfer thru the plastic to the nest on only one end. A mat would heat the entire thing and most mats (I did Herps, snakes, lizards) are way too hot for ants.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

ooper01
Head Moderator

Re: Heating question

Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:20 pm

Condensation is a very difficult problem to fix with formicaria. Even with my heat cable on the one end of my Hybrid nest, I will still occasionally get condensation on the glass. It's not necessarily a show-stopper so to speak, it may just obscure the view a bit. The idea with the Hybrid nest series was to keep the heat as far as possible from the water. We did this by experimenting with a few different locations and ended up putting it up higher in the nest and at the top of the nest. Then we put the areas exposing the water down toward the bottom of the nest.

I will just turn off the heat cable or remove it when I want to the condensation to go away.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator