I bought the wrong Hybrid Nest!!

Discussion and information relating to the AntsCanada Hybrid Nest Series.

Moderator: ooper01

Kyo1995

I bought the wrong Hybrid Nest!!

Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:40 pm

I only noticed, after buying, that my queen is bigger than 4 mm long, which means she will not fit in the Lasius small nest, according to this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-08OpqzEIQc

I've bought it just a few hours ago, and after noticing the mistake, I immediatelly sent a message via the "contact" button, asking for it to be replaced for a Camponotus nest.

Do you think there is anything else I can do?

ooper01
Head Moderator

Re: I bought the wrong Hybrid Nest!!

Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:15 pm

Uh oh. I wish I had seen this post sooner :( Try out the Lasius and see how it goes. You may be fine. What species are you planning on keeping in the Lasius nest?
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

Kyo1995

Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:42 am

I don't know what the species is, what I do know is that the queen is fairly big. However, with a bit of research, I found out that Lasius workers have generally between 3-5 mm in length, how come he would make a Lasius nest which cannot support ants that exceed 4 mm in length, as he claims in the aforementioned video?

I hope that means that the size limit is far enough from 4 mm for my queen to fit in :)

Also, still no answer from the message sent via the "contact" button in the main website page, despite it saying the answer should be expected in less than 48 hours.

ooper01
Head Moderator

Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:55 pm

The girth (width) of the queen will be the main factor. The narrowest passages are around 4mm in the Lasius nest. If your queen's gaster is 4mm wide or less, you should be fine.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

antscanada
Main Forum Admin

Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:04 am

Kyo,

We have been up to date with all emails coming in and have responded to them in less than 48 hours. Have you received an email from us regarding this yet? Perhaps your email went to our spam box which can happen.

Let me know what species you are housing and we can have a better idea as to whether or not the Lasius Hybrid will do. Overall, don't panic.

Mikey
Ant Love Forever.