Hybrid nest for iridomyrmex sp.

Discussion and information relating to the AntsCanada Hybrid Nest Series.

Moderator: ooper01

Mdrogun

Re: Hybrid nest for iridomyrmex sp.

Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:05 pm

I would not recommend buying through AntsCanada. I would recommend going to http://grotube.byformica.com/ or http://tarheelants.com/ tarheelants makes your order custom. Also the grotube is pretty nice and at a good price. A good idea would also to be to desing one yourself

*I am not affiliated with either of these companies this is from my own personal experience.*

I keep Tetramorium,Camponotus,Tapinoma,Formica and have kept other ants in the past. I have orderd formicariums from each company and can say my ants were happiest in the Tarheel ants haven.

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:55 pm

Mdrogun wrote:I would not recommend buying through AntsCanada. I would recommend going to http://grotube.byformica.com/ or http://tarheelants.com/ tarheelants makes your order custom. Also the grotube is pretty nice and at a good price. A good idea would also to be to desing one yourself

*I am not affiliated with either of these companies this is from my own personal experience.*

I keep Tetramorium,Camponotus,Tapinoma,Formica and have kept other ants in the past. I have orderd formicariums from each company and can say my ants were happiest in the Tarheel ants haven.
OK so why not go thru AntsCanada? A reason would be fair to others if your going to steer them away from a product. And I have no monetary or other wise gain from AntsCanada, I only run the forum.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

Mdrogun

Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:39 pm

The reason I steered him away from AntsCanada products was because I don't think that the products AntsCanada have for sale are best for an iridomyrmex colony. I was looking out for his best interest. It has nothing to do with anger or trying to undermine AntsCanada.

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:27 pm

Mdrogun wrote:The reason I steered him away from AntsCanada products was because I don't think that the products AntsCanada have for sale are best for an iridomyrmex colony. I was looking out for his best interest. It has nothing to do with anger or trying to undermine AntsCanada.
No problem at all. Its just a good thing to post a reason so others that may read the post know why and that may help them in the future also. :)
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

antscanada
Main Forum Admin

Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:18 pm

Benny1 wrote:Does anyone know what hybrid nest would work well for a iridomyrmex sp.
Thanks
Hi Benny! Congrats on having an Iridomyrmex colony. I've always wanted one and hope to have one soon. I am actually keeping a tropical Pheidole sp in a Lasius Hybrid Nest with great success. Pheidole and Iridomyrmex both have similar nest requirements and specs, and it's what I recommend for customers asking which Hybrid Nest design to choose for Iridomyrmex. The tunnels are just the right size.

Check out our new video uploaded last night of the Pheidole colony in a Lasius Hybrid.

Even after a day (video coming soon) the ants have completely customized the inside by building wall structures within the already existing structures in their formicarium. I shot a quick cell phone video of it and posted to our Facebook store page here: https://www.facebook.com/AntsCanada/videos/vb.135508869839771/971384686252181/?type=2&theater

I do recommend you also add sand or some kind of digging medium for your Iridomyrmex. If you're keeping an arboreal species perhaps pieces of wood? Your colony may also benefit from the Hybrid Nest's heating cable port which runs directly through the highest point of the formicarium (just as sunlight hits the top most part of a wild ant nest) and test tube of water (or sugar water) which can be attached directly to the fomricarium so you don't need to have it sitting in your outworld. If I ever find an Iridomyrmex colony I will surely upload a video of them inside a Hybrid Nest.

Thanks and hope you continue doing your research. It is truly key to choosing the best formicarium for your colony.

Mikey
Ant Love Forever.