Using large hybrid nest for a founding colony?

Discussion and information relating to the AntsCanada Hybrid Nest Series.

Moderator: ooper01

KHandcock

Using large hybrid nest for a founding colony?

Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:01 am

Hi there! The mention of the holiday special on the new hybrid nest in today's video is tempting me :-D However, the Camponotus colony I have is brand new - I'd be ordering the nest early because the earliest I can see it having enough workers to need a formicarium is next summer - and I'm not sure how the larger nest would work for a new colony. Is the new nest worth considering, or am I better off getting one of the smaller nests instead? Thanks in advance!

idahoantgirl

Re: Using large hybrid nest for a founding colony?

Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:12 am

KHandcock wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:01 am
Hi there! The mention of the holiday special on the new hybrid nest in today's video is tempting me :-D However, the Camponotus colony I have is brand new - I'd be ordering the nest early because the earliest I can see it having enough workers to need a formicarium is next summer - and I'm not sure how the larger nest would work for a new colony. Is the new nest worth considering, or am I better off getting one of the smaller nests instead? Thanks in advance!
as far as value goes,the new hybrid nest is definetly the best choice. I would recomend getting the new one and then just letting your colony get bigger than usual before introducing them to it. It also helps that they are camponotus since the are pretty big ants.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile