Myrmica Hybrid nest suitable for Bullants?

Discussion and information relating to the AntsCanada Hybrid Nest Series.

Moderator: ooper01

Guiltyspark

Myrmica Hybrid nest suitable for Bullants?

Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:27 am

Greetings everyone.

I am getting ready for collecting an Australian Bull ant Myrmecia (whatever variety I get).

http://www.hollywoodfoundry.com/Images/Red_bull_ant.jpg

My plan was to get an Omni nest XL and an outworld to give them ample space to grow and hunt. I was wondering about the Myrmica Hybrid nest for maybe hooking up in tandem to save some space for more outworldness.

However, these nests are very small and very damp and I'm thinking our bull ants would have major issues living in them. That being said I'm not actually sure on the ideal nest type and moisture content for these ants other than a nest that matches their personality (Very Big and Very Angry). So have the AntsCanada peoples had any feedback on their Myrmica Hybrid nests and the Australian bull ant?

For the time being I'm going to stick with my original thoughts unless I hear info against it in favour for the smaller hybrid nests. many pics will follow on the forums when I get it going whatever the choice.

Step 1 :Big nest.
Step 2 :large hunting grounds.
Step 3 :Throw tube from nest to neighbours yard.
Step 4 :Crank up 'Welcome to the Jungle' with heavy base
Step 5 :Video camera in hand, enjoy the memes.
(I'm kidding....:D)

AntsManitobacanada

Re: Myrmica Hybrid nest suitable for Bullants?

Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:59 pm

I think it might be. the only thing I would worry about is how well they can move in the tighter spaces of it.
either than that I think it well work!!!!! :D

ooper01
Head Moderator

Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:37 pm

I would stick with the Omni series for bull ants. I have zero experience with bull ants, but I have heard it is nearly impossible to keep and grow a colony in captivity. Best of luck and keep us informed on your progress.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

Martialis

Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:16 am

ooper01 wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:37 pm
I would stick with the Omni series for bull ants. I have zero experience with bull ants, but I have heard it is nearly impossible to keep and grow a colony in captivity. Best of luck and keep us informed on your progress.
I'm actually not sure they would even fit in there, the largest species (Myrmecia brevinoda) can get over 25mm long! They also aren't exactly the best climbers in the world. There are other people who have kept them in custom nests(which they created and are selling), although to not break the rules, I won't post to their custom nest.

The picture link resembles M. brevinoda.
Keeper of

Selliing: