Tetramorium hybrid nest- how realistic?

Discussion and information relating to the AntsCanada Hybrid Nest Series.

Moderator: ooper01

larynx

Re: Tetramorium hybrid nest- how realistic?

Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:05 pm

Durant wrote:Daaaaaannnnnnggggg larnyx :lol:
I like pictures man, what can i say. I tend to over explain sometimes too. sorry :lol:
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

ooper01
Head Moderator

Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:38 pm

MCWren wrote:Currently I have no suggestions for you. However, this may change since I have a MASSIVE Tetramorium sp. E colony in my driveway and the surrounding yard. I remember a few days ago lifting a flat stepping stone in my yard, only to find a small Tetramorium sp. E satellite nest. It had some chambers in it, but I don't remember what they looked like, or even if they were clearly visible. Today (if it stops raining) I'll go out and take a picture to show you. In the future, I may update this thread with different pictures if I find any Tetramoriumnests with visible chambers, so keep an eye on this thread, ooper.
Will do. Pictures of what lies under the rocks, bricks, pavers, etc., would be very cool and helpful. Just try not to disturb the nests too much ;)
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

Ants500

Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:10 pm

Although i agree it should keep the boxes and stay semi linear, I believe you should give it slight curves in the corners and entrances just to make it look nicer! Big fan of AntsCanada products!!!
Founding:
-3 tetramorium queens
-1 Formica queen
-4 groups of acorn ant queens (they're polygenous)
Super excited to start this amazing hobby :D

ooper01
Head Moderator

Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:43 am

Ants500 wrote:
Although i agree it should keep the boxes and stay semi linear, I believe you should give it slight curves in the corners and entrances just to make it look nicer! Big fan of AntsCanada products!!!
Our new version of Tetramorium nest will have sight curves and rounded edges rather than straight and linear. Thanks for the support :)
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

Serafine

Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:22 am

You can keep Tetramorium in any nest that doesn't have huge chambers (the Lasius and Solenopsis nests should be fine). In nature their nests probably have the same mushroom shape as other ant nests, like this Solenopsis invicta nest (note that the sculpture is upside down):

Ants500

Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:15 pm

ooper01 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:43 am
Ants500 wrote:
Our new version of Tetramorium nest will have sight curves and rounded edges rather than straight and linear. Thanks for the support :)
Wonderful, I for 1 will most definitely purchase it then!!! :D thanks for the amazing customer service you provide at AC!
Founding:
-3 tetramorium queens
-1 Formica queen
-4 groups of acorn ant queens (they're polygenous)
Super excited to start this amazing hobby :D