To big for my colony?

Discussion and information relating to the AntsCanada Hybrid Nest Series.

Moderator: ooper01

Lazarus

To big for my colony?

Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:06 pm

Hey,

I'm considering buying the Hybridnest Small and the AC Outworld for my Myrmica rubra colony, consisting of 150-200 workers and one queen. But I don't want my colony only occupying one room of the nest and the rest being used as garbage pile because it's to big for them. And I don't want them uselessly wandering the Outworld because of not necessary, empty space.
So are my concerns true, or will it be fine?

Thanks in advance!

idahoantgirl

Re: To big for my colony?

Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:22 pm

Lazarus wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:06 pm
Hey,

I'm considering buying the Hybridnest Small and the AC Outworld for my Myrmica rubra colony, consisting of 150-200 workers and one queen. But I don't want my colony only occupying one room of the nest and the rest being used as garbage pile because it's to big for them. And I don't want them uselessly wandering the Outworld because of not necessary, empty space.
So are my concerns true, or will it be fine?

Thanks in advance!
Nope! That's fine! They may only occupy a few rooms, but that is ok. Most people move their colonies into a small hybrid when they have 20-50 workers, so you are totally fine. Note that they may still use it as agarbage pile, but this is likely to happen wth any colony if they aren't crammed full in the hybrid. I have acolony that occupies 3/4 of the hybrid and they still use a room as a garbage pile. Ideal? No. Impossible to fix? Pretty much.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile