home made formicarioum

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

perryismyname

home made formicarioum

Fri May 13, 2016 8:58 pm

I just made my own formicarium I will post a pic but because it is home made it does not have some of the nice things that a purchased one does. I am going to use two test tubes plugged in to the sides one for water and the left one for food and m sugar water at the end. I did leave a hole at the top in which i can use for an out world but I do not have that set up yet. That is the general info on it but my questions are if I give it a test tube on its own do i need to water my colony? (I don't even know how I would water my colonie other wise) Also can i use a third test tube at the top as an out world, if so how do i set that up? Lastly how big of a colonie could this support? any advice or past experiences could help me allot.

Thanks -Perry

AntsRule

Re: home made formicarioum

Fri May 13, 2016 9:57 pm

You will need to water it. One way to achieve this is to take an eye dropper of some sort and squirt water around in one side of the nest just do not drown them. Is the glass pressed flat against the nest? If so another way is to create another tunnel that is not accessible by the ants on one side of the formicarium. The formicarium will need to be vertical though. Keep that basin full of water and it will spread trough capillary action between the glass and the nest. I do not think that will work because you did not have that watering plan in mind when you built it so just go with eye dropping water in the nest method. There is also a some AntsCanada YouTube videos on hydrating nests. Make sure you keep one side humid and the other side dry so they can choose. What is it made of? It needs to be a little absorbent like un-sanded grout or hydro-stone but some others will work too. I would say it could support a beginning colony nicely for a while. Then you could always attach more and have the tubes going all around to different corners of the room attaching nests and out-worlds. You should probably go with a larger out world than just a test tube. A good rule of thumb is the larger the out world the better. :D
Good luck and happy anting!!! :D
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

perryismyname

Sat May 14, 2016 3:20 pm

AntsRule wrote:You will need to water it. One way to achieve this is to take an eye dropper of some sort and squirt water around in one side of the nest just do not drown them. Is the glass pressed flat against the nest? If so another way is to create another tunnel that is not accessible by the ants on one side of the formicarium. The formicarium will need to be vertical though. Keep that basin full of water and it will spread trough capillary action between the glass and the nest. I do not think that will work because you did not have that watering plan in mind when you built it so just go with eye dropping water in the nest method. There is also a some AntsCanada YouTube videos on hydrating nests. Make sure you keep one side humid and the other side dry so they can choose. What is it made of? It needs to be a little absorbent like un-sanded grout or hydro-stone but some others will work too. I would say it could support a beginning colony nicely for a while. Then you could always attach more and have the tubes going all around to different corners of the room attaching nests and out-worlds. You should probably go with a larger out world than just a test tube. A good rule of thumb is the larger the out world the better. :D
Good luck and happy anting!!! :D
I have an idea, I left a little extra drill room lust in case if I messed up or something around those lines but I am thinking can I drill the top right room and maybe half of the largest room little deeper and put a sponge in the floor. Then I could drill through the sides into the sponge so I could put water on the sponge. Would that work? Any tips on making that a little easier?
Thanks -Perry

AntsRule

Sun May 15, 2016 9:19 am

I think that would work! That is how some of the AntsCanada formicariums are watered. Does anyone else have an opinion on this :?:
Good luck!!! :D
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.