Trying to get started in the south.

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

ooper01
Head Moderator

Re: Trying to get started in the south.

Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:50 am

calrodrigz wrote:I'm not as sure on Camponotus, but if the Pogonomyrmex colonies are all in close proximity then their alates will probably all fly at the same time. If you've found several widespread areas with colonies then you might encounter slightly different flight times. Last year I tried my luck after a rain in a park with six good Pogo colonies (four of them relatively close), but it appeared that only one or two had alates that were taking to the air. Long story short, it just depends. If a significant amount of queens survived the flight, then generally speaking you should find claustral chambers fairly close to the surface within the next few days. As for Camponotus, they like to make their chambers in rotting logs, so when looking for them it's best to go into forested areas with an axe to cut them open. At least, that's what I've heard. If anyone can add to this, it would be appreciated.
I have gone into the mountains of Utah searching for queens. I overturned rocks and opened up rotting logs. I have not found Camponotus, but I have found Lasius and various Formica species. I hope to find Camponotus this year in the mountains. Here is what I take with me:

1. Screwdriver and hammer for opening rotting logs. Use the hammer's claw to pry open logs.
2. Lots of test tubes or little pill boxes.
3. Featherweight tweezers/forceps. (These are very important. Tremendous help in catching a queen without damaging her. Bend the tips if needed so you have a wide surface area that comes together at the end of the tweezers.)
4. Small allen wrench. Used for gently prodding a queen hiding in a hole or crevice.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator