ant beginner.

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

maxgroenendijk

ant beginner.

Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:13 am

Dear forum members,

My name is Max Groenendijk and in a few weeks i wil start living on my own. so i can finally start my own ant colony.
I have watched a lot of ant canadas videos and have been reading a lot about ants and how to take care of them.

I wil be living in finland. there is no gen farm there but there is a animal store that sells ants.
Camponotus japonicus
Lasius flavus/niger
Messor aciculatus/barbarus

My question is 1 which one is the most for and the most recommended for beginners.
2 why do you need to keep the nest in the dark? (most) ants have bad sight? and is this really necessary can you also keep your ant nest not covert so you can enjoy them more?

Best regard,

Max Groenendijk

GriffinAnt

Re: ant beginner.

Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:43 am

welcome max.

to answer your questions i use red acitate flim rolled into a tube and slide over the tubes to keep queens in the dark as Ants can not see the red spetrum it just looks black to them.

as for begingner Ant i recomemd Lasius niger.

NikolaMladenovic

Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:34 am

Yup, I'm raising two L. Niger colonies and one L. Flavus and i find the L. Niger colonies easier to raise. For example: The L.Niger colonies are way more successful than the L.Flavus colony + that the L.Flavus are subterranean wich means that they hunt underground.
I'm very ANThusiastic :lol:

WillWithAnts

Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:09 am

NikolaMladenovic wrote:Yup, I'm raising two L. Niger colonies and one L. Flavus and i find the L. Niger colonies easier to raise. For example: The L.Niger colonies are way more successful than the L.Flavus colony + that the L.Flavus are subterranean wich means that they hunt underground.
:shock: Woah, how does underground hunting work?

NikolaMladenovic

Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:32 am

WillWithAnts wrote:
NikolaMladenovic wrote:Yup, I'm raising two L. Niger colonies and one L. Flavus and i find the L. Niger colonies easier to raise. For example: The L.Niger colonies are way more successful than the L.Flavus colony + that the L.Flavus are subterranean wich means that they hunt underground.
:shock: Woah, how does underground hunting work?
Well, sometimes it happens that a worm might dig into their nest causing the ants to kill it and eat it. And when that dosen't happen they dig until they find other insects that live underground.
I'm very ANThusiastic :lol: