fungus growing queen not doing well help!!!

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

cmzneu

fungus growing queen not doing well help!!!

Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:09 pm

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p63 ... uoc7gh.jpg
The ruler is in centimeters.

Help this queen is not doing well, it has laid eggs but they are scatered and she is not tending them, people have told me is a fungus growing ant and i have read that they carry fungus spores with them when they leave the colony to start a new garden but i have provided her with some tree leaves, lettuce leaves brocolly leaves and flower,some seeds and some rabbit pellets(that is full of grasses and plant material) but she has show no interest in them and hasn't grown any fungus, it's been more than a week now and i'm worried she will die!
What do i feed her???

cmzneu

Re: fungus growing queen not doing well help!!!

Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:07 pm

What do I feed her? is she doomed to die!

ooper01
Head Moderator

Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:45 pm

Queens are usually pretty resilient. I'm not sure what to feed her, but it sounds like you have tried several things. If she is not showing interest, she just may not be hungry right now. Hopefully someone who has more experience with fungus-growing ants can give you some pertinent advice.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

martinnate

Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:22 pm

hey nice find, I live in Abilene Tx and I'm looking for an Atta tx queen. She is a fungus growing ant too. I just dont know what to do when I catch one lol I try to read up on them but its not easy to find that info. Good luck with ur catch and please keep us posted on ur progress.

thescienceguy1980

Thu May 19, 2016 8:21 am

martinnate wrote:hey nice find, I live in Abilene Tx and I'm looking for an Atta tx queen. She is a fungus growing ant too. I just dont know what to do when I catch one lol I try to read up on them but its not easy to find that info. Good luck with ur catch and please keep us posted on ur progress.
I got a book offline that is called Fungus Growing Ants of North America by Morton and Wheeler. I'll take a look at it when I get home and see if there are any tips. It's obviously a bit dated but should point out some clues.

larynx

Thu May 19, 2016 4:31 pm

she 100% needs that fungus ball she regurgitated when she first settled. all of the fungus farmers i have found that didnt have their fungus ball have died.
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer