Lots of Questions

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Synedge

Lots of Questions

Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:20 pm

I found a Solenopsis Geminata queen about a week ago (12-11-15) and have kept it in a contact lens case. I just ordered some test tubes since i have had no had any luck finding them in stores. Since its Christmas time i think ill be getting it late December.

If She has NOT started laying eggs yet, would be it alright to move her to the Test Tube even after ~3 weeks have passed?

If She starts laying eggs in the Contact Case, would it be better to leave her there or move her to the Test Tube?

Im thinking about getting a Omni-Nest Vertical and have only the first floor of it accessible until the colony grows. Is that too big or should i opt for something smaller?

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Re: Lots of Questions

Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:06 pm

Check out Arts and Crafts store in the science section you might find some there.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

ooper01
Head Moderator

Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:39 pm

A full Omni Vertical would probably be too large of a space for a new colony, but if you limit to one floor, you should be fine.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:17 pm

ooper01 wrote:A full Omni Vertical would probably be too large of a space for a new colony, but if you limit to one floor, you should be fine.
Yea what he said! :D
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

jonathan21700

Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:01 am

Be sure to provide her with water.

hyenadog

Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:17 pm

Synedge wrote:I found a Solenopsis Geminata queen about a week ago (12-11-15) and have kept it in a contact lens case. I just ordered some test tubes since i have had no had any luck finding them in stores. Since its Christmas time i think ill be getting it late December.

If She has NOT started laying eggs yet, would be it alright to move her to the Test Tube even after ~3 weeks have passed?

If She starts laying eggs in the Contact Case, would it be better to leave her there or move her to the Test Tube?

Im thinking about getting a Omni-Nest Vertical and have only the first floor of it accessible until the colony grows. Is that too big or should i opt for something smaller?
Personally, I would try to avoid moving and interacting with your Queen as much as possible, though you have to make sure she has enough water. If there is no possible safe way to get water to your queen in your contact lens case I would recommend moving her to a test tube sooner rather than later. She might panic and eat her eggs if you move her with her brood. Locking the upper floors on an omni nest vertical is a great idea, I think the size of the full formicarium would be a little overwhelming for the small Colony. But regardless I think they will enjoy their new home. Hope this helps!

Synedge

Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:20 pm

Thanks for the help guys! Called all my local Ben Franklin stores and non of them have any test tubes. Unbelievable.

On the bright side, I think my Queen just laid her first batch of eggs. Ordering a Omni Nest Vertical now.

Does it the omni-nest vertical come with the Insect a Slip?

Synedge

Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:23 pm

hyenadog wrote:
Synedge wrote:I found a Solenopsis Geminata queen about a week ago (12-11-15) and have kept it in a contact lens case. I just ordered some test tubes since i have had no had any luck finding them in stores. Since its Christmas time i think ill be getting it late December.

Personally, I would try to avoid moving and interacting with your Queen as much as possible, though you have to make sure she has enough water. If there is no possible safe way to get water to your queen in your contact lens case I would recommend moving her to a test tube sooner rather than later. She might panic and eat her eggs if you move her with her brood. Locking the upper floors on an omni nest vertical is a great idea, I think the size of the full formicarium would be a little overwhelming for the small Colony. But regardless I think they will enjoy their new home. Hope this helps!

I just found her first batch of eggs. No luck finding any local stores with test tubes. I have a ball of cotton, soaked in water, in the case with her. Hopefully its enough until the omni-nest gets in

hyenadog

Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:25 pm

Synedge wrote:
hyenadog wrote:

I just found her first batch of eggs. No luck finding any local stores with test tubes. I have a ball of cotton, soaked in water, in the case with her. Hopefully its enough until the omni-nest gets in
Sorry to hear you didn't have any luck finding test tubes in any stores nearby. I'm glad to hear you have a source of water for your queen, just make sure she doesn't drown :P
I wish you luck in raising your first queen.

jonathan21700

Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:04 pm

Another alternative of the test tube can be a tic tac box.
I don't think you will need the nest already.