Lots of Questions

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Marandola

Re: Lots of Questions

Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:45 pm

I raise my ants in a section of transparent hose (about 10cm). I just put something in one of the points to don't let water escape (you can use little plastic pieces or something like clay or silicone to do it). After locking one hole, put some water and add a cotton, put the queen and lock with another cotton in the other hole and you have a DIY test tube setup :D .
Sometimes I place a Yakult bottle in one of the holes and pour water inside it. It fits perfectly in 1" hoses.

Synedge

Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:11 pm

Update: The Queen found here died a little after i posted this. Found a few more and those died too. No clue what went wrong.

Found another Queen late January and just checked on it today and found 3 newly hatched workers!!!!! So excited.

How long should i wait till i move the colony into the Omni-Nest vertical?

Should i cut up a meal worm and put it in now?

As another source of protein, is it ok to feed the Ants chicken? If so, is it better cooked or raw?

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:28 pm

Synedge wrote:Update: The Queen found here died a little after i posted this. Found a few more and those died too. No clue what went wrong.

Found another Queen late January and just checked on it today and found 3 newly hatched workers!!!!! So excited.

How long should i wait till i move the colony into the Omni-Nest vertical?

Should i cut up a meal worm and put it in now?

As another source of protein, is it ok to feed the Ants chicken? If so, is it better cooked or raw?
OK with my Solenopsis I wait until there is at least a dozen or more new sisters before I move them. Keep an eye on their water and make sure it doesn't run out. My first food for them is some sugar water (Others try honey), make sure the drop you put in there is very very small (a smear of it is better) because with the tension of the water droplet it can easily trap them and they will drown (little fact: they have to break the surface tension of the water drop to be able to drink from it, if they do it too fast it can suck them in trapping them). After a few days I give mine a small piece of mealworm (break it up into small pieces).

With them being a new small colony they and the queen will need the sugar and the protein to continue. You might get lucky and see one of the workers drink and fill their social stomach and then run back and feed the queen, it's a really cool thing to see. They will also feed the larva also. Make sure you place the food on a piece of tin foil or wax paper so you can easily remove it later. I usually don't leave food in a test tube for more then a day or so because it will start to mildew with the high moisture in the test tube.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

Synedge

Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:49 pm

Thanks MadVampy. I put a smear of honey on a tin foil and leaving in there for the day.

Is it ok to feed the ants chicken? If so, is it better raw or cooked?

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:08 pm

Synedge wrote:Thanks MadVampy. I put a smear of honey on a tin foil and leaving in there for the day.

Is it ok to feed the ants chicken? If so, is it better raw or cooked?
I have fed mine cooked chicken and they love it. I have also feed stray fireant mounds "Hot Wings" (of course after I got my part of it) and they striped the bone clean!
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted: