How to make loam?

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Herrpface

How to make loam?

Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:13 pm

Hi, guys! So lately, I'd taken an interest in antkeeping, and I'm aiming to try it out next year.

Due to preferences and budget, I'm trying to aim for a natural formicarium that features a digging medium for the ants to nest in. I'd leaning towards loam to fill the nest with, but I hadn't been able to find a clear, consistent source online o help me find out where to get the soil or sand to do so.

Again, I'm still pretty new to antkeeping, and my question actually isn't just how to make it, but more as to where can I find the pure, safe ingredients to use that wouldn't be harmful to my ants.

Or if anybody could recommend other mediums to use, I'd appreciate.

Please and thanks!

New2Ants

Re: How to make loam?

Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:59 pm

Hey, this hobby is great. There are all kinds of unique species of ants all over the world. I bet you have some cool ones in your area. Anyway, any kind of substrate would be fine. It is much safer to buy it at a pet store. Something that is made to be safe for animals of all kinds. If you want to buy something safe for your ants, make sure it is not treated by chemicals. The substrate will be dependent on what ant species you will be keeping/ even though most ants can nest in anything. However, I love the new Hybrid ant nests that they just came out with. You will be able to see your entire colony grow and what is happening inside of it. It's amazing! One of my favorite products.
If you don't mind me asking, what ant species do you plan on keeping? I keep Solenopsis Invicta, pheidole sp., Brachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster sp., Aphaenogaster sp., and Camponotus sp. My favorite is my pheidole ant colony.
I wish you the best of luck on your future colonies. Look out for the nuptial flights next year. Maybe you can go to the AntsCanada YouTube channel and look up videos on ant keeping. Knowledge is power!
Good luck!!! :D

Herrpface

Re: How to make loam?

Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:42 pm

Probably red harvester ants. And thanks!