Tampa Bay Help

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Kaosthe1

Tampa Bay Help

Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:41 pm

Hey Guys and Gals,

i live and work in the greater Tampa Bay area and i'm having trouble finding anything except Solenopsis and
Monomorium Pharaonis queens, i've been waiting for months now hoping to catch a Camponotus, Tetramorium or Odontomachus Brunneus Queen, I have a Solenopsis Queen and she has brood but I know how tricky they can be for novices.

Is there any specific region or area (park,city, anything) anybody can suggest to help me locate a queen of the above species, or really anything thats not a fire ant.

( also I kept the Solenopsis Queen because I didnt't know what species she was until she had already laid some brood and I might as well have killed her as let her back into the wild until her first workers grew)

-Chris

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Tampa Bay Help

Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:06 am

Kaosthe1 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:41 pm
Hey Guys and Gals,

i live and work in the greater Tampa Bay area and i'm having trouble finding anything except Solenopsis and
Monomorium Pharaonis queens, i've been waiting for months now hoping to catch a Camponotus, Tetramorium or Odontomachus Brunneus Queen, I have a Solenopsis Queen and she has brood but I know how tricky they can be for novices.

Is there any specific region or area (park,city, anything) anybody can suggest to help me locate a queen of the above species, or really anything thats not a fire ant.

( also I kept the Solenopsis Queen because I didnt't know what species she was until she had already laid some brood and I might as well have killed her as let her back into the wild until her first workers grew)

-Chris
I think Fire ants deserve a chance, and Camponotus planar us can be found near the shore in hollowed sticks and limbs. Floridanus can be found in woodland areas, and brachymyrmex can be found on sidewalks the easiest as they are small in size
When you accidentally reply to yourself…