Just caught an ant today- need help identifying

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

peppy210

Just caught an ant today- need help identifying

Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:23 am

I have this ant here and I am new to ant keeping so I have no idea what to look for in terms of identifying the species. I'm even unsure if it's a queen ant, so any guidance/help would be appreciated.
I already watched many videos about how to find/take care of a queen ant before I went out to find some. I would just like to have help from more experienced members of the community ^_^
I live in New Jersey, USA
Thank you in advance~

(Mods, I posted a similar question in the ants general forum, but I just saw this one for beginners- so I'm posting a similar post here. I'm sorry if this counts as cross posting)

PTasker15

Re: Just caught an ant today- need help identifying

Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:00 am

Lasius Umbratus Or Acantohostichus Sp.
*** SPAM ***.Try To Collect Some Pupae Of The Following
·Lasius Niger
·Lasius Neoniger
·Lasius Allienus
·Lasius Neararctus
Keeping ants for 6 years now.

Current Species: Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Camponotus decipiens,Camponotus snellingi Solenopsis invicta,Nylanderia sp,Brachmyrmex patagonicus,Pheidole obscurothorax,Pheidole moerens,Pachycondyla harpax

Batspiderfish

Re: Just caught an ant today- need help identifying

Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:56 pm

I agree with Lasius umbratus. They need more than pupae, though; these queens are generally incapable of opening cocoons.

http://www.formiculture.com/topic/3252-much-ado-about-the-founding-of-lasius-temporary-social-parasites/
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.