How many queens

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

oOFutteOo

How many queens

Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:24 am

Hallo again

Getting ready for the nuptial flights in Denmark. I'm just wandering how many queen i should catch to be fairly sure to get one that is mateded but not over catching.
On one hand i want to be sure to get to get a matede queen on the other hand i just want one colleny. so i don't want to end up with a lot of queens starting collonis that i have to release (thinking that the risk of releasing a disease is minimal as long as i haven't fed the collenis yet. and release them were i found the queens :roll: ).

every input is apriciated

Best regards Rolf

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: How many queens

Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:49 am

oOFutteOo wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:24 am
Hallo again

Getting ready for the nuptial flights in Denmark. I'm just wandering how many queen i should catch to be fairly sure to get one that is mateded but not over catching.
On one hand i want to be sure to get to get a matede queen on the other hand i just want one colleny. so i don't want to end up with a lot of queens starting collonis that i have to release (thinking that the risk of releasing a disease is minimal as long as i haven't fed the collenis yet. and release them were i found the queens :roll: ).

every input is apriciated

Best regards Rolf
It should be fine as long as the ants aren’t invasive
When you accidentally reply to yourself…