Found possible Ant Queen

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Morlezan

Found possible Ant Queen

Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:01 pm

Hello everyone,
I've recently found what I believe to be a queen ant. I was doing yard work and stumbled upon her. I'm thinking because of the color and the time of year she's a queen of the Camponotus novaeboracensis. She has a large abdomen but a relatively small head. However the more I look online she also seems she might be a queen of the Prenolepis imparis (even though it would be far late for them). I was wondering if 1. anyone could tell me if she's a queen 2. what species she might be and 3. If she is a queen any suggestions for a habitat based of species. I've never owned an ant colony even though I've followed AC for over a year and I would like to give this a go to my best capabilities. I caught her late at night but once I get a test tube for her tomorrow I'll upload a picture. Just wanted some pre-thoughts and get the conversation started. I'm from Buford, GA USA. btw. Thank You

BlitzAnts

Re: Found possible Ant Queen

Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:56 pm

Of course! If you post an image (or a link to one) I would be happy to help

Also from your description it seems she is a queen
Housing two Camponotus Barbarus Queens!

Also FOUR Solenopsis xyloni Queens! (if you want to, check the journal!)

Morlezan

Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:03 pm

Thanks for replying Blitz, I can't attach on here because the file is too large. If you don't mind emailing me at spcmgjones@gmail.com I can send pics. Also this post was quite old so I have a few ants that I would like your input on. Thank You

Batspiderfish

Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:08 pm

Upload to an image host and paste the link here.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.