Helping queens

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Zayltek

Helping queens

Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:11 pm

Because of AntsCanada my wife and I are now trying to start our own Camponotus colony. Finding a queen every day or two has been easy due to my job in an open wood shop(we keep all the doors open during warmer months). However many queens I spot are curled up and/or caked in sawdust. Most found like this are still alive when I place them in temporary test tubes I jury rigged at work, but are very slow, sluggish and tend to sit against the water plug (cotton) for my shift. Is there anything more I can do to help them out or just let nature take its course?

PTasker15

Re: Helping queens

Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:27 am

These Curled Up Queens Are Usally-
  • Infertile
    From A Previous Flight
    Dead
So Keep These In A Tupper Ware Container With Holes.If Condition Improves Then Move Into A Test Tube Setup.
Keeping ants for 6 years now.

Current Species: Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Camponotus decipiens,Camponotus snellingi Solenopsis invicta,Nylanderia sp,Brachmyrmex patagonicus,Pheidole obscurothorax,Pheidole moerens,Pachycondyla harpax

Zayltek

Re: Helping queens

Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:33 pm

Much appreciated. 2 of the 3 healthy queens I've caught at work have started laying broods. Now to wait till August for workers!