Colleny development time line

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

oOFutteOo

Colleny development time line

Wed May 30, 2018 5:06 am

Hallo

Im new to the hobby, i live in Denmark. I'm so new that i don't have any ants yet, but me and my kids want to have a ant farm, we are building on with our 3D printer. I was planing to catch a queen during this years nuptial flights, so likely a lasius niger. My question is i can read it will take 8-10 weeks before the first workers are developed, but i would like to know the time frame on the develoment of the colleny. I know it will be estimates but could anybody give me a time frame on the following events in the colleny.
Q: First workers A: 8-10 weeks after queen is captured
Q: Reach 20 workes/ready to move to formacarium A:?
Q: When do lasius niger hibernate A:?
Q: Reach 100 workers A:?

Best regards Rolf

AntsDakota

Re: Colleny development time line

Wed May 30, 2018 8:00 pm

A:usually takes about 4-6weeks
A:Your first batch of workers could have 20 or more, so 4-6 weeks
A:usually start around late fall to mid spring
A:before the first year
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

AntsDakota

Wed May 30, 2018 8:03 pm

I keep Lasius niger as well, and their colony is less than a year old and has about 300 workers. Their colonies can get to a few thousand workers.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

oOFutteOo

Thu May 31, 2018 1:07 am

thanks AntsDakota, I was worring that the ants should stay in the testtube over winter, but hopefully they can move in to the formacarium before.