When to catch queen ants

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

BlitzAnts

When to catch queen ants

Sat May 12, 2018 10:28 pm

Hello!

So yes, with some exploration I discovered several ant nests from the species (I believe) Pogonomyrmex Barbatus (or at least they really seem to be under a microscope, not that the one I own is very potent) so I was wondering when was the best time (and perhaps place) to go queen-hunting, I mainly ask this because right now, there is a good storm outside, a few thunders and all (and I REALLY want to start a colony this year)
Housing two Camponotus Barbarus Queens!

Also FOUR Solenopsis xyloni Queens! (if you want to, check the journal!)

antnest8

Re: When to catch queen ants

Tue May 15, 2018 2:36 pm

i go with constant vigilance. spend at least 5 minuets a day walking on side walks looking for queens. if the conditions are right you can spend a lot longer. you can also just add this into a daily walk you do if you have one.
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

antsofthelowcountry

Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:25 pm

I know it's a bit late for advice on this but I'm going through the forum helping a bunch of people try searching around pools. A lot of queen ants seem to like my pool and I found 5 in about 2 minutes just looking around. I don't quite know the reasoning behind this, maybe they go to it because it's a water source I just know that it works.
As always, wishing you well on your exciting ant adventure, Ants the Lowcountry.

midget040life

Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:29 pm

antsofthelowcountry wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:25 pm
I know it's a bit late for advice on this but I'm going through the forum helping a bunch of people try searching around pools. A lot of queen ants seem to like my pool and I found 5 in about 2 minutes just looking around. I don't quite know the reasoning behind this, maybe they go to it because it's a water source I just know that it works.
Hello there, danish guy, super new to ant keeping here (new as in, I have literally just found the interest, but no queens)

I have selected a searching area in the forest on a bycicle path that goes right past a (middle-sized?) lake, but so far I haven't found a single queen, or even seen any winged ants anywhere. The spring and summer here has been really hot, with almost no rain, does that affect the nuptial flight?

Am I doing this wrong?

antsofthelowcountry

Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:32 pm

Queen ants usually nuptial fly after rain, so yes if you're having an unusually dry summer this will affect the number of queens that you will find.
As always, wishing you well on your exciting ant adventure, Ants the Lowcountry.

midget040life

Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:40 pm

I was afraid of that, but thank you for clearing it up for me.

I will continue my hunt and start practice rain dancing...