What ant species to keep

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Lorcan

What ant species to keep

Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:34 am

Hi, I'm new to the forums and I am in possession of an AntsCanada Formica hybrid nest 2.0 which I won in the giveaway on Mikey's channel when they first came out. I also have an outworld and all the equipment required for ant keeping and I'm wondering what's a good species to keep. I've been considering tetramorium caespitum but I'm yet to come to a decision. Any help on the topic would be appreciated. Thanks!

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Re: What ant species to keep

Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:05 pm

First check out what ant species are in your area, once you find that out then I'm sure we can help you narrow the best starter species for you.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

Lorcan

Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:18 pm

I live in northern Ireland and I haven't been able to find much except lasius Niger and tetramorium caespitum live in Ireland although I have seen a lot of ants which I believe are of the myrmica genus as they I live in a very damp area but I don't think the hybrid nest has the right humidity level for myrmica. Also I can't check the unknown myrmica species which I believe are myrmica rubra because they are in hibernation until march.

Lorcan

Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:00 pm

MadVampy wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:05 pm
First check out what ant species are in your area, once you find that out then I'm sure we can help you narrow the best starter species for you.
Sorry I'm new to this I'm trying to figure out how to use the forums so my previous post answering your question didn't quote your post and am I right in saying that I'm meant to do this, if not kindly explain to me how to use this.