Is feeding necessary right now?

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Post Reply
AntFeeder101
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:52 am

Is feeding necessary right now?

Post: # 33617Post AntFeeder101
Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:20 am

I have my first ant ,fed it should i feed them daily or wait until theres more ants?
Owner of
1 Camponotus sp :D

User avatar
Batspiderfish
Posts: 2411
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:47 pm
Location: Maine

Re: Is feeding necessary right now?

Post: # 33619Post Batspiderfish
Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:19 am

When they have a foraging area, they can feed at their own discretion. Just make sure to replace the food after it dries out.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AntFeeder101
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:52 am

Re: Is feeding necessary right now?

Post: # 33621Post AntFeeder101
Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:46 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:19 am
When they have a foraging area, they can feed at their own discretion. Just make sure to replace the food after it dries out.
Foraging area is presented at 4-5 workers for what i know
Owner of
1 Camponotus sp :D

idahoantgirl
Posts: 1021
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:52 am
Location: Idaho, USA

Re: Is feeding necessary right now?

Post: # 33622Post idahoantgirl
Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:09 pm

AntFeeder101 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:46 pm
Batspiderfish wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:19 am
When they have a foraging area, they can feed at their own discretion. Just make sure to replace the food after it dries out.
Foraging area is presented at 4-5 workers for what i know
Nope. Present the outworld as soon as the first worker arrives. this setup is the most used.
http://www.formiculture.com/topic/4167-welcome-to-lazy-tube-serafines-camponotus-barbaricus/
In the wild, they have access to the outside world at all times, so it is wise to provide an outworld at the arrival of the first worker, even though they may not use it for a little while.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Lasius Neoniger

AntFeeder101
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:52 am

Re: Is feeding necessary right now?

Post: # 33626Post AntFeeder101
Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:48 am

idahoantgirl wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:09 pm
AntFeeder101 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:46 pm
Batspiderfish wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:19 am
When they have a foraging area, they can feed at their own discretion. Just make sure to replace the food after it dries out.
Foraging area is presented at 4-5 workers for what i know
Nope. Present the outworld as soon as the first worker arrives. this setup is the most used.
http://www.formiculture.com/topic/4167-welcome-to-lazy-tube-serafines-camponotus-barbaricus/
In the wild, they have access to the outside world at all times, so it is wise to provide an outworld at the arrival of the first worker, even though they may not use it for a little while.
i have one for them but i had it connected for 4 days and they never left there tube
Owner of
1 Camponotus sp :D

idahoantgirl
Posts: 1021
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:52 am
Location: Idaho, USA

Re: Is feeding necessary right now?

Post: # 33628Post idahoantgirl
Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:53 am

AntFeeder101 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:48 am
idahoantgirl wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:09 pm
AntFeeder101 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:46 pm

Foraging area is presented at 4-5 workers for what i know
Nope. Present the outworld as soon as the first worker arrives. this setup is the most used.
http://www.formiculture.com/topic/4167-welcome-to-lazy-tube-serafines-camponotus-barbaricus/
In the wild, they have access to the outside world at all times, so it is wise to provide an outworld at the arrival of the first worker, even though they may not use it for a little while.
i have one for them but i had it connected for 4 days and they never left there tube
Right. They probably wont use it right away, but it is beneficial to provide it anyways, when there is less workers so a lesser chance of harming them when setting it up.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Lasius Neoniger

AntFeeder101
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:52 am

Re: Is feeding necessary right now?

Post: # 33629Post AntFeeder101
Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:58 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:53 am
AntFeeder101 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:48 am
idahoantgirl wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:09 pm

Nope. Present the outworld as soon as the first worker arrives. this setup is the most used.
http://www.formiculture.com/topic/4167-welcome-to-lazy-tube-serafines-camponotus-barbaricus/
In the wild, they have access to the outside world at all times, so it is wise to provide an outworld at the arrival of the first worker, even though they may not use it for a little while.
i have one for them but i had it connected for 4 days and they never left there tube
Right. They probably wont use it right away, but it is beneficial to provide it anyways, when there is less workers so a lesser chance of harming them when setting it up.
alright but any tips that may make them come out faster?
Owner of
1 Camponotus sp :D

antnest8
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:11 pm
Location: michigan

Re: Is feeding necessary right now?

Post: # 33630Post antnest8
Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:00 pm

first you need food in the out world if you
don't have it in there already
almost one year of ant keeping :D

keeping:
a failing camponotus colony :(
one crematogaster queens
and three lasius umbratus queens

idahoantgirl
Posts: 1021
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:52 am
Location: Idaho, USA

Re: Is feeding necessary right now?

Post: # 33631Post idahoantgirl
Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:08 pm

Don't try to make them come out faster. When they need to, they will.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Lasius Neoniger

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest