Is an outworld necessary?

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

AntFeeder101

Is an outworld necessary?

Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:03 am

so basicly i have my first ant worker should i present them there outworld or should i wait for more ant workers?
Owner of
1 Camponotus sp :D

antnest8

Re: Is an outworld necessary?

Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:10 am

I would start making a small outworld for them.
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:38 pm

AntFeeder101 wrote:
so basicly i have my first ant worker should i present them there outworld or should i wait for more ant workers?
If your talking about the first brood (first ant from a queen that has laid eggs) then no leave them in the test tube until you get any where from 10-20 of them. They will need that number to support the queen with the other eggs and then also forage for food when you connect an out world at that point.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

EthansAnts

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:01 am

No a outworld is not necessary until they have 5 workers at the very minimum if given a outworld any earlier it stresses out the colony as they like small spaces.

idahoantgirl

Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:13 pm

MadVampy wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:38 pm
AntFeeder101 wrote:
If your talking about the first brood (first ant from a queen that has laid eggs) then no leave them in the test tube until you get any where from 10-20 of them. They will need that number to support the queen with the other eggs and then also forage for food when you connect an out world at that point.
In the wild, they have access to the outside world at all times. Doesn't it make sense to provide an outworld when the first worker arrives with a straw acting as a tunnel between tube and outworld? I'm not talking connecting it to the outworld, i mean placing the tube in the outworld as seen here
http://www.formiculture.com/topic/4167-welcome-to-lazy-tube-serafines-camponotus-barbaricus/
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:45 pm

I see no issue at all providing them with a "Feeding Tube", I in fact using something I I made that has a screen for air, connect two tubes together. Basically their water tube and then a tube I use to put food into, that way I can change it out with other food or in the case of their water supply running out I can attach a fresh water tube and migrate them to it.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted: