First Worker No activity?

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

AntFeeder101

First Worker No activity?

Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:07 am

So recently after 2 months of waiting i finally have a first worker and i thought well i should make an outworld for that ant to go out and get food but i want to get confirmed if i have to wait for more ants to come in that case how many should i have? and if not what should i do
Owner of
1 Camponotus sp :D

antnest8

Re: First Worker No activity?

Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:42 am

I never heard any thing on waiting for more workers on an outworld. Although you should make it small so the workers can actually find their food.(Ex. my camponotus colony had a huge out world and they did not find their food until a couple days later.)
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

AntFeeder101

Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:45 am

antnest8 wrote:
I never heard any thing on waiting for more workers on an outworld. Although you should make it small so the workers can actually find their food.(Ex. my camponotus colony had a huge out world and they did not find their food until a couple days later.)
no i mean like should i wait for more workers to present them there outworld or not
Owner of

idahoantgirl

Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:05 am

AntFeeder101 wrote:
antnest8 wrote:
no i mean like should i wait for more workers to present them there outworld or not
Think about what they would do in the wild. they would have a tunnel leading to the outside world that they would use to forage when they are hungry. It never hurts to give them an outworld as soon as the first worker arrives. Simply place the tube in a tupperware container with a baby powder barrier at the top of the outworld. if they need to forage, they will. Also, to make it feel more homelike and less open then just taking out the exit cotton, ram a section of drinking straw between the exit cotton and the side of the tube. this will make a comfortable tunnel for them to enter and exit through. Here is a post on another forum with pictures of what im talking about.
http://www.formiculture.com/topic/4167-welcome-to-lazy-tube-serafines-camponotus-barbaricus/
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

AntFeeder101

Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:47 am

idahoantgirl wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:05 am
AntFeeder101 wrote:
antnest8 wrote:
Think about what they would do in the wild. they would have a tunnel leading to the outside world that they would use to forage when they are hungry. It never hurts to give them an outworld as soon as the first worker arrives. Simply place the tube in a tupperware container with a baby powder barrier at the top of the outworld. if they need to forage, they will. Also, to make it feel more homelike and less open then just taking out the exit cotton, ram a section of drinking straw between the exit cotton and the side of the tube. this will make a comfortable tunnel for them to enter and exit through. Here is a post on another forum with pictures of what im talking about.
http://www.formiculture.com/topic/4167-welcome-to-lazy-tube-serafines-camponotus-barbaricus/
Wow Thank you! i will 100% use that idea!
Owner of