What protein do I feed her?

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

idahoantgirl

Re: What protein do I feed her?

Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:07 pm

Drago118 wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:00 pm
I have a queen, I have had her for 4 weeks now and want to feed her some protein because I am still hopeful she will lay eggs. What should I feed her as protein? Also, how do you prekill the insects you feed to your ants and also, should I freeze or boil them? Please help me.
What species of queen? If she is semi claustral then yes, feed her. but if she is fully claustral than feeding her will not make her lay eggs. if she isn't mated, she just isn't and there is nothing yo can do about it. Feeding a fully claustral queen will only stress her out. just leave her be and don't check on her often. As far as insects go, when you have workers, you give them insects. I buy a thing of mealworms and freeze them in a mason jar. you can also use crickets or cockroaches. for young colonies, fruit flies are great.

Hope I helped!
Idahoantgirl
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

AntsLuxembourg

Re: What protein do I feed her?

Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:34 am

Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.