Do I feed my colony everyday?

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Antcrisp

Do I feed my colony everyday?

Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:16 am

Hello,I'm new to Ant world. I have Tetramorium E queen with 15 workers. I've been searching on the internet and can't find the correct answer. Do I feed my ants everyday or every other day,once a week? Thank you

Zebesian

Re: Do I feed my colony everyday?

Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:14 pm

I'm also curious to know how often a new tetramorium colony should be fed. I'm keeping the same species around the same size so any info would be much appreciated.

idahoantgirl

Re: Do I feed my colony everyday?

Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:28 pm

I have raised a tetramorium colony to a full hybrid nest. all colonies should have a constant access to sugar. The easiest way to provide this is a sugar water test tube placed near your ant colonies tube. When your colony is as big as mine, they will clean a mealworm down to the exoskeleton in a day, but when they only have a handful of workers, they wont be able to do this. I remember what I did was I just gave them a meal worm or cricket every couple days, and waited till it dried up. (they wont be able to eat it clean) Remember that protein, while more necessary at the beginning stages, is not what the ants need to survive. They need sugar water. Protein is necessary for the development of the brood. Sugar keeps the adult workers alive.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile