Moving to a Hybrid Nest

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

AntsArizona

Moving to a Hybrid Nest

Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:31 pm

Sorry if this is the wrong thread to post in. Wasn't sure if I should put this in the beginners page or the Hybrid Nest series but here goes.

I have a Monomorium Colonly that's about 7 weeks old now and have filled two chambers I made in two test tubes. Still small but over 50 workers for sure.

Judging by this picture, do you think I should move them in or hold off til they overwhelm their test tube setups?

idahoantgirl

Re: Moving to a Hybrid Nest

Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:55 pm

AntsArizona wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:31 pm
Sorry if this is the wrong thread to post in. Wasn't sure if I should put this in the beginners page or the Hybrid Nest series but here goes.

I have a Monomorium Colonly that's about 7 weeks old now and have filled two chambers I made in two test tubes. Still small but over 50 workers for sure.

Judging by this picture, do you think I should move them in or hold off til they overwhelm their test tube setups?

They are most certainly fine to move in. Most people say to wait until you have 20-50 workers to move them in, so this should be fine.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile