Mould and other strange problems.

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

ArticSnowLegend

Mould and other strange problems.

Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:24 pm

So I have a formica fusca colony in a tank that used to have fish in it, I cleaned it out and put in clay granules at the bottom, sand loam in the middle and then about half an inch of soil from my garden, I froze each of them for 2 days to make it cleaner. The ants dug a small hole near the edge of the tank (because I made a slope at the edge) I water the nest with a pipette whenever is is dry, I provide food on a piece of card so that I can take out food and prevent bacteria in an easy way. So I found mould growing above their nest (if you can call the hole a nest) I took it out, I assume it was because I put a bit of sliced beef nearby without the card, I found a small snail in the tank, the ants aren't digging and they don't seem to eat much. Are any of these things bad or are they normal?

P.S

I have a feeling they are eating the natural minerals in the soil.