Questions regarding ant-keeping

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

TheDoubleG

Questions regarding ant-keeping

Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:20 am

Hello everyone,

It would be nice, if someone would tell me: how long can i leave ants alone, without adding any food or anything?

I am not yet ant owner although I'm considering it. The problem for me is that every 3-4 months I am on ~30-40 day trips to another country and i have no one that could take care of the ants in that time. So i wanted to ask if this hobby, meaning ant keeping is any viable for me or i am just limited to watching videos of ants ? :P

Will230145

Re: Questions regarding ant-keeping

Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:06 am

If you leave them with a test tube with water or a founding queen that's fully claustral, you will have to feed the ants but not the queen when she has no workers, you can leave your founding queens away for a month and then check on them (unless semi-claustral) which means you have to feed them while founding. I normally check on my ants once a day (not a founding queen).
Keeper of:
Camponotus Pensilvanicus