Searching for a Queen Ant

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

TripleT1915

Searching for a Queen Ant

Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:02 pm

Hey I am new to ant keeping and am giving my first go at it and have caught already what I think is a Queen Ant, I live in Edmonton Alberta its late July so mid summer am wondering if anyone can give me area advice on best times of day and weather to find Queen ants or maybe some locations that work for people would be greatly appreciated!

tiger01vincent

Re: Searching for a Queen Ant

Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:36 am

I amnot from ur area, sorry. I am from Sweden. After a rain storm is good to look, but otjerwise, its much luck.... Yasterday there was a swarm, about 300 queens must have been crawling around my area. Most species (by my experiance) have had theis flights, but some may still wonder around. Look in creavises and under rocks anh hope that you will find a queen that has layed eggs. Good luck!
<3 Thanks!
Email: vincent.bystrom@gmail.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010099860866

Otherwise just DM me

AntConnecticut

Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:14 am

Dear TripleT1915,

I my self have found a small batch of winter ants around march and since then I haven't done much queen ant looking. I do regret this decision but my advice to you is to take daily walks around your neighbor hood to look around for any queen ants. The best time to look, I find, is on days with high humidity, hot weather, light wind, and after a rain shower. If you see elates flying around then that is a big clue that a nuptial flight is happening in your area.

Good luck fellow ant hobbyist, I wish you the best of my luck.

Dyllan264

Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:17 pm

I recommend searching for ants the first two days after a storm. If you have a pool, queen ants often fall in so you can check periodically as most queen ants are hardy when it comes to surviving water
Keeper of:

Solenopsis Molesta

Lasius Niger

Pheidole sp.1

Pheidole sp. 2