How do you find out what species are in your state?

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Tylosaurus

How do you find out what species are in your state?

Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:49 pm

Alright so I've been looking around and researching ants for about a year now, but one thing I still can't find out about is species that are in my area(Pennsylvania). I know you might say just look around in your area but I wouldn't realistically be able to find them. One big thing is that there are no GAN farmers in PA that I could buy from if I chose not to hunt. Do you think Ohio would be ok?!

Thanks

Camponotus

Re: How do you find out what species are in your state?

Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:47 pm

YOUR STATE HAS THE BEST SPECIES!!! I love Camponatus pennsylvanicus and know exactly how to find one. Drive out to a forest or an area with a lot of downed wood (where they live) and make sure it has rained recently. You have to look during the summer or they won't be flying. Congradulations for living in the best ant state!!! I only recently got my hands on a C. pennsylvanicus queen and im super pumped about it.

ooper01
Head Moderator

Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:16 pm

This is a pretty cool little site too. I think it is relatively new to the ant site scene:

http://antmaps.org/?
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

Tylosaurus

Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:41 pm

Thanks guys I never thought that there were that many in PA. I guess I'll just have to start huntin before it's too late! :D btw do any of you know why AntsCanada got rid of the ant box cuz I was planning on getting one but they are off now I'm guessing permanently?

ooper01
Head Moderator

Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Tylosaurus wrote:btw do any of you know why AntsCanada got rid of the ant box cuz I was planning on getting one but they are off now I'm guessing permanently?
Mikey may provide additional info, but I believe that while they were a nice formicarium, they were problematic, primarily assembly and shipping. I believe they were prone to break easily with the large pieces of acrylic.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

Tylosaurus

Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:04 am

ooper01 wrote:
Tylosaurus wrote:btw do any of you know why AntsCanada got rid of the ant box cuz I was planning on getting one but they are off now I'm guessing permanently?
Mikey may provide additional info, but I believe that while they were a nice formicarium, they were problematic, primarily assembly and shipping. I believe they were prone to break easily with the large pieces of acrylic.
That makes sense but he should still try and make a burrowing formicarium that works. Anywho, do you know of any ants in my region that have any castes at any point of their colonies stage?

ooper01
Head Moderator

Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:45 pm

Tylosaurus wrote:Anywho, do you know of any ants in my region that have any castes at any point of their colonies stage?
I don't know of any. We'll have to wait for a more experienced ant keeper from the Eastern US to help you with this question.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

Tylosaurus

Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:35 am

ooper01 wrote:
Tylosaurus wrote:Anywho, do you know of any ants in my region that have any castes at any point of their colonies stage?
I don't know of any. We'll have to wait for a more experienced ant keeper from the Eastern US to help you with this question.
Yeah I guess so but thanks for the help 8-)

Tylosaurus

Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:14 pm

Jonathan21700 wrote:
Anywho, do you know of any ants in my region that have any castes at any point of their colonies stage?
Yes, Camponotus and Pheidole
Thanks man, good thing I got a componotus Queen!