Anybody got any tips on catching queens

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

xXxBlueGamerxXx

Anybody got any tips on catching queens

Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:28 pm

Over the summer I have been trying to find queen ants with out much luck. It is my first time ant keeping and I haven't been lucky in finding a queen. I have found a solenopsis invicta but I don't think she is fertile because she isn't taking care of her eggs. Also her eggs don't seem to be developing but it may be to soon to tell yet. Anyways I was hopeing that someone could give me some tips on finding some queen ants any advice would be appreciated.

AntLove5Ever

Re: Anybody got any tips on catching queens

Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:57 pm

xXxBlueGamerxXx wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:28 pm
Over the summer I have been trying to find queen ants with out much luck. It is my first time ant keeping and I haven't been lucky in finding a queen. I have found a solenopsis invicta but I don't think she is fertile because she isn't taking care of her eggs. Also her eggs don't seem to be developing but it may be to soon to tell yet. Anyways I was hopeing that someone could give me some tips on finding some queen ants any advice would be appreciated.
All my queens have been found in or near pools and lights.

AdamKnapp

Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:25 pm

The best places to check is in the woods. Ants are everywhere and are huge. You can check in decaying wood or in the leaf litter. The majority of ants in the forest are Campanotus which are perfect for beginners! Actually, I caught my first queen in the forest. I wasn't even looking for ants at the moment she just crawled on my shoe! If you don't live in or near a forest, find ant hills and on humid days (normally afternoon) watch them to see if they have nuptial flights. You can follow them until you find a mated queen and catch her!

p.s I am also I beginner so sorry if I am wrong but this has been what I have been doing and it works for me :D

JackPayne

Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:26 pm

Footpaths and persistence.
Hi I'm Jack, How are you?

Phoenix

Re: Inquiry

Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:31 pm

Banks; Obtained / Found Over 200 Queens In Less Than 6 Months.
'Have Fun.' - Gabe Newell

xXxBlueGamerxXx

Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:15 am

They're aren't any woods where I like and I have been looking for weeks for one and have only found one queen that I don't even think is fertile. I live in Texas so I know there a are tons of different species of ants where I'm from its just that I haven't had any luck. I have been looking almost every day for at least an hour this summer without much luck so any more time would be awesome.