Camponotus Castaneus care

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

AdamKnapp

Camponotus Castaneus care

Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:54 pm

Hello!I caught a camponotus castaneus queen on June 6. three days later, she laid her first two eggs. Now those two eggs are large larvae and she also has a pile of smaller larvae. She is in a 71f table cabinet. I was just wondering when they are supposed to hatch and if I could get some advice of what I should do when they hatch what should I move them in, when should move them, how much food I should feed them etc. Sorry for bothering you I just haven't found a lot of info on these ants.

thanks so much you guys are the best! :D

AntLove5Ever

Re: Camponotus Castaneus care

Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:29 pm

AdamKnapp wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:54 pm
Hello!I caught a camponotus castaneus queen on June 6. three days later, she laid her first two eggs. Now those two eggs are large larvae and she also has a pile of smaller larvae. She is in a 71f table cabinet. I was just wondering when they are supposed to hatch and if I could get some advice of what I should do when they hatch what should I move them in, when should move them, how much food I should feed them etc. Sorry for bothering you I just haven't found a lot of info on these ants.

thanks so much you guys are the best! :D
Basically when your nanitics (first workers) arrive, wait for them to fully harden prior to feeding, and do not be in a hurry to put them in a formicarium. Your colony will work in a tube for a surprisingly long time. As for food, give them some honey at first but do it on a small bit of tin foil for easy and effective cleanup of any uneaten food. Then in a couple days try a small insect, like a piece of a cricket, or small beetle, something like that. Continue feeding them, ramping up portions as the colony grows, and be sure to clean up uneaten food. Good luck on your colony!