Frozen or freeze dried bloodworms as first protein source?

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

KHandcock

Frozen or freeze dried bloodworms as first protein source?

Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:31 pm

Well, to my delight my Formica queen has her first worker by her side! I have a test tube portal on its way, and I know there's no rush, so when that arrives I'll use that as a place to feed them. Our local pet store doesn't carry feeder flies, just crickets, and I figure those are probably too big as a first protein source. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried using frozen or freeze-dried bloodworms or other tropical fish food for ants. Those are easily available at multiple local stores and since they don't have any exoskeleton, I thought they might be an option worth trying -- but I don't want to experiment too much with my first colony, especially when it's just getting started. Anyone have any experience with this?

idahoantgirl

Re: Frozen or freeze dried bloodworms as first protein source?

Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:33 pm

KHandcock wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:31 pm
Well, to my delight my Formica queen has her first worker by her side! I have a test tube portal on its way, and I know there's no rush, so when that arrives I'll use that as a place to feed them. Our local pet store doesn't carry feeder flies, just crickets, and I figure those are probably too big as a first protein source. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried using frozen or freeze-dried bloodworms or other tropical fish food for ants. Those are easily available at multiple local stores and since they don't have any exoskeleton, I thought they might be an option worth trying -- but I don't want to experiment too much with my first colony, especially when it's just getting started. Anyone have any experience with this?
I looked into freeze dried when I started, but It would be too difficult for a young colony considering that they really should have their protein be liquid. I bought feeder crickets and froze them. Then I just kinda ripped off sections (legs, head, bit of abdomen) and gave it to them.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

KHandcock

Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:45 am

Thanks for the suggestion! I wasn't sure if that would work for the very initial stage.

idahoantgirl

Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:31 pm

Once they are bigger they can take more solid proteins since they have lots of brood that is able to brake down protein easier.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile