What's the farthest away place you can catch ants from your location and still be safe?

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

FlameofOsiris

What's the farthest away place you can catch ants from your location and still be safe?

Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:47 am

Ex. I live in NY and I was wondering if NJ ants would be ok to keep.

Any advice is appreciated! :D

Batspiderfish

Re: What's the farthest away place you can catch ants from your location and still be safe?

Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:05 am

It would still be illegal to carry ants across state lines, so that's where you're going to have to look. New York is probably better for this anyways.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

FlameofOsiris

Re: What's the farthest away place you can catch ants from your location and still be safe?

Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:52 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:05 am
It would still be illegal to carry ants across state lines, so that's where you're going to have to look. New York is probably better for this anyways.

I forgot about the laws, but I live less than 1/2 an hour away from the border, and ants from there would be closer than ants in my state, thanks for the advice!