New ant keeper, needs adivice

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Kalous

New ant keeper, needs adivice

Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:58 pm

I recently caught, what I believe are two carpenter queens, and one of them seems to be doing quite well and is laying some eggs. However, the second queen just kinda wanders around her tube. I had to sadly disturb them quite a bit, because I originally had them in different containers and had to move them twice.

I also keep them in a cupboard attached to my computer desk. After watching some videos on AntsCanada it was suggested to keep them away from vibrations, and I'm worried how much their living space will effect them. Additionally, if anyone can give any advice on how to keep them healthy I would greatly appreciate it. I really want them to do well!

JackPayne

Re: New ant keeper, needs adivice

Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:16 pm

Check weekly, keep them in the dark, in heat or warmth. Don't disturb them until the weekly checking, they should be find your over worrying, they won't need feeding until the workers arrive which will take a couple of months.
Hi I'm Jack, How are you?