First attempt at ant keeping

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Firespitter

First attempt at ant keeping

Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:41 pm

Hello this is my very first time attempting to keep ants as I found AntsCanada just a few months ago and happened to stumble on a camponotus pennsylvanicus queen in my hallway (i'm worried that they are in my walls now) but I have the queen in an old clear cigar tube which is about the same length as a test tube and she is laying eggs but i do know that doesn't really mean much. Since I found her so quickly I don't have the cash to buy any actual ant equipment such as an outworld,formicarium. Would there be any way to set up a habitat for them in say a Rubbermaid bin that would be suitable for the species?

Also does anyone know how long it may take for camponotus pennsylvanicus eggs to become larvae? just curious to give myself a time frame.

chromie

Re: First attempt at ant keeping

Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:00 am

A test tube set up is best. Look at the AntsCanada youtube video on how to do a test tube set up. She will more than likely be in the tube until spring.

AntOblivion

Re: First attempt at ant keeping

Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:37 am

A something to place the tube into so the ants can forage into should work fine until you can get an outworld ect.. I have a camponotus subbarbatus queen, her eggs became larvae in a little less than a month but every queen is different. Like a i said a large enough container to where you can put your tube into should be a good place to put food for the ants to find. Things like crickets, honey, and of course sugars (you can use sugar water as hydration and sugars) and fruits. Good Luck!