Test Tube Switch

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

SamuelMamuel

Test Tube Switch

Thu May 25, 2017 9:11 pm

it hasn't happened yet, but I want to be prepared. What do I do if one of my Test Tube setups gets moldy? Especially if she has eggs.
Colonies:
--Tetramorium Caespitum
--Camponotus pennsylvanicus
--Formica Sp.

idahoantgirl

Re: Test Tube Switch

Thu May 25, 2017 9:45 pm

SamuelMamuel wrote:
it hasn't happened yet, but I want to be prepared. What do I do if one of my Test Tube setups gets moldy? Especially if she has eggs.
You have a couple options. either, take another test tube, tape it to the other (with a few pin holes for breathability). Shine a light on the old tube and cover the new tube. It may take a couple days for them to want to move. a better option is to leave the cotton that is plugging the tube on, and wiggle a piece of a drinking straw in between the cotton and the side of the tube. this straw connects to another tube the same way. This way she can actually feel like she is moving into a new chamber instead of just enlarging it.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

SamuelMamuel

Re: Test Tube Switch

Thu May 25, 2017 10:36 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 9:45 pm
SamuelMamuel wrote:
You have a couple options. either, take another test tube, tape it to the other (with a few pin holes for breathability). Shine a light on the old tube and cover the new tube. It may take a couple days for them to want to move. a better option is to leave the cotton that is plugging the tube on, and wiggle a piece of a drinking straw in between the cotton and the side of the tube. this straw connects to another tube the same way. This way she can actually feel like she is moving into a new chamber instead of just enlarging it.
That makes a lot of sense. Thanks!
Colonies:
--Tetramorium Caespitum
--Camponotus pennsylvanicus
--Formica Sp.