protein farm

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Yestordsd287

protein farm

Thu May 11, 2017 8:04 pm

i have an odontomachus queen and i need to give her proteins for the foundig stages. i have her in a homemade outworld in a test tube. she usually hangs around the test tube or just walks around everywhere. because i have no crikets or meal worms as of right now i wanted to know how to make a protein farm to have an income of proteins in my house? help is really accepted!

Yestordsd287

Re: protein farm

Fri May 12, 2017 12:51 pm

i would also loke to know tyhe best insects for ants to keep and raise the insects

xTNxANTMANx

Sun May 14, 2017 11:34 pm

Being as it's just her I would probably look up wingless fruit flies. You can buy cultures of them for rather cheap and make your own cultures as well. They can't fly so they would be easy to keep. Trap jaws are very picky as well so honestly my friend you would have to just used trial and error until you found the perfect food for her.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

ultraex2

Mon May 15, 2017 11:11 am

With only 1 queen you probably don't want to start an entire farm - you can probably just look around for wild bugs that are small or get some "long-lasting bugs" like mealworms and try feeding it to her in small pieces.

Yestordsd287

Wed May 17, 2017 5:27 pm

xTNxANTMANx wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 11:34 pm
Being as it's just her I would probably look up wingless fruit flies. You can buy cultures of them for rather cheap and make your own cultures as well. They can't fly so they would be easy to keep. Trap jaws are very picky as well so honestly my friend you would have to just used trial and error until you found the perfect food for her.
thanks. where can i buy wingless fruit flies?

Yestordsd287

Wed May 17, 2017 5:28 pm

ultraex2 wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 11:11 am
With only 1 queen you probably don't want to start an entire farm - you can probably just look around for wild bugs that are small or get some "long-lasting bugs" like mealworms and try feeding it to her in small pieces.
i gave her a pre crrushed termite. after 3 days i disappeared so i concluded she ended up eating it.

xTNxANTMANx

Wed May 17, 2017 6:53 pm

Termites are great if you have a source to get them from close to your house. But as far as the wingless fruit flies you can find them online and many Pet Shops. A lot of people get them to feed their pets like little frogs and such.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

Batspiderfish

Wed May 17, 2017 7:33 pm

If you prepare food that would be suitable for wingless Drosophila, you will probably be able to attract their ecological equivalent where you are. They'll have wings, of course...
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

xTNxANTMANx

Wed May 17, 2017 11:34 pm

That is very true. I fed my dubia roaches an orange slice the other day and guess what found it as well LOL winged fruit flies.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

Yestordsd287

Thu May 18, 2017 10:42 am

Well i have found casually some of these termites, but as of wingless fruit flies and other insects i am having somewhat of a problem to find them. Where i live not many pet stores sell reptiles so i will keep on trying to find them a protein source. Thanks for the help.