New from Ottawa Ontario

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

1sttimeantfarm

New from Ottawa Ontario

Tue May 09, 2017 9:56 pm

• I have bought an omni nest kit. Still looking for nuptial flights. If I happen to get a queen from out of an outside nest, (preferably with some workers) would I put her/them straight into a nest or keep her in a test tube?

1sttimeantfarm

Re: New from Ottawa Ontario

Tue May 09, 2017 9:58 pm

Also if anyone in the area knows when nuptial flights are going on please let me know. Thanks.

Martialis

Tue May 09, 2017 10:12 pm

Nuptial flights are happening as of April. To address the first part of your post, it's unethical and wrong to collect queens with workers, especially in areas like California and the entire southern half the contiguous U.S.
Keeper of

Selliing:

1sttimeantfarm

Tue May 09, 2017 11:32 pm

I'm in Canada. I understand the ethical point of view. To put into perspective, I live in a suburb. If I use lemon water to get a queen out of the outside wall of the house... (which my upstairs neighbour's will pesticide any outside pests anyway).
I am open to hearing all ethic points of view though. I am new and want to be respectful.
II'm hoping nuptials start here soon. I think there's been too much rain. (I'm minutes from all the flooding here by the Ontario/Quebec border.

xTNxANTMANx

Wed May 10, 2017 11:49 pm

I think what he's trying to say is that most people frown upon collecting already established colonies that are doing just fine. But also if you know that they are going to be harmed or destroyed or anything of that nature then I think it would be okay to try and collect them as you would just be trying to save them. But just going out and digging up a colony just so you can hurry up and get one is not a good idea. I understand what you are saying though with your neighbor using pesticide to kill them. That's where you would have to make the decision on if you want to try and save them or not. But the likelihood of the actual Queen coming out to the lemon water is highly unlikely.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

1sttimeantfarm

Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:14 am

Thank you all for your advice. I was patient and waited until they were flying in my area. (We had record rainfalls in May that I think kept them occupied earlier)
I collected four queens properly this week and two already have eggs.
Now working on not looking at them....

I'm one proud mama but respect they are doing all the hard work.