Test Tube needed or not?

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

AntViking

Test Tube needed or not?

Thu May 04, 2017 3:34 pm

I have the camponotus nest from the store. Would it be exceptable to place a newly caught queen directly into nest, hook up a tube with water, and then cover it up? I figure if I do it when she is freshly caught it won't be that stressful and then they can move about on there own accord with food outside the door?

Martialis

Re: Test Tube needed or not?

Thu May 04, 2017 4:00 pm

It is not recommended (or healthy for her) to put the queen alone into the nest.
Keeper of

Selliing:

AntViking

Thu May 04, 2017 4:44 pm

Martialis wrote:
It is not recommended (or healthy for her) to put the queen alone into the nest.
how will it effect her?

Jadeninja9

Thu May 04, 2017 5:55 pm

AntViking wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 4:44 pm
Martialis wrote:
how will it effect her?
It could stress her out cause of the open space. The founding chamber in the wild is a small enclosed space, sort of like a test tube. That's why everyone uses test tubes for newly caught queens and young colonies.
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Lasius alienus colonies
1x Tetramorium immigrans