Starting a colony

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Amaroq26

Starting a colony

Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:12 pm

I've been waffling on ant-keeping so I wasn't prepared when I spotted a new queen running along the bathroom floor at my workplace. I gently caught her but I had nothing to hold her in until I could get my hands on a test tube setup for her. I currently have her in the space between two paper cups and she seems ok for now. Is there anything I should do for her until the test tubes arrive? Moist paper towel or something? And my biggest fear is she'll start laying eggs before I can move her to a test tube. If she does start laying eggs before I can move her, what should I do? I'm not even sure what species she is. I live in New Jersey along the Delaware River, the queen lacks any markings, bumps, crests, horns, etc., and she is shades of brown. Any info or advice is more than welcome and greatly appreciated.

Antloverhuman

Re: Starting a colony

Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:10 am

You should put a moist paper towel ball or a moist cotton ball so she can drink
If she lays eggs in the cup, you can first move her into the test tube and then using a moist small paintbrush, gently scoop the eggs and place them in the test tube
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony