N. Cockerelli natural formicarium questions

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

BeginnersBurrow

N. Cockerelli natural formicarium questions

Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:26 pm

I just got a small colony of N. Cockerelli and I want to make a natural formicarium. I plan on using a 5-gallon aquarium but I do have larger tanks if needed. I mostly want to know what to use for the substrate. I plan on making a drainage layer out of stones and such but what about the digging material?

Should I just use play sand? Should I mix play sand with soil? They are desert species I know but would just a potting soil and cocofiber mix work?

I am told that I should not bother with plants because they will kill the roots or bury them. Is that true?

How would you heat the tank? Heat lamp during the day? Then less it cool at night or would you use a night time lamp too?

Just getting into ant-keeping and it's amazing how hard it is to get simple answers.
My YouTube Channnel
www.youtube.com/beginnersburrow