No ants in my area

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

ultraex2

Re: No ants in my area

Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:27 pm

Do you honestly think they're going to put you in jail for 20 years for taking an ant? No. You just need to look up the laws specific to the state park and/or call and ask. As long as you aren't destroying/digging up the environment it's fine.

Martialis

Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:15 pm

ultraex2 wrote:
Do you honestly think they're going to put you in jail for 20 years for taking an ant? No. You just need to look up the laws specific to the state park and/or call and ask. As long as you aren't destroying/digging up the environment it's fine.
It is HIGHLY illegal in the US to take wildlife from state parks. It is illegal under the guise of harassing the wildlife. DO NOT attempt to go anting in a state or national park. Ever.
Keeper of

Selliing:

idahoantgirl

Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:35 am

Ok good to know!
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

ultraex2

Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:31 am

Martialis wrote:
ultraex2 wrote:
It is HIGHLY illegal in the US to take wildlife from state parks. It is illegal under the guise of harassing the wildlife. DO NOT attempt to go anting in a state or national park. Ever.
Enlighten me - please link the law that pertains to this. I have called my local state parks before and they said "sure, as long as you don't hurt/dig up the environment". It is also STATE laws, not FEDERAL laws... hence being a state park. There are plenty of state parks where it is perfectly final and legal to fish. I really don't understand where you got the concept of it being incredibly illegal to hunt ants in state parks from.

ultraex2

Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:47 pm

ultraex2 wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:31 am
Martialis wrote:
ultraex2 wrote:
Enlighten me - please link the law that pertains to this. I have called my local state parks before and they said "sure, as long as you don't hurt/dig up the environment". It is also STATE laws, not FEDERAL laws... hence being a state park. There are plenty of state parks where it is perfectly final and legal to fish. I really don't understand where you got the concept of it being incredibly illegal to hunt ants in state parks from.
Since I can't seem to edit posts - here is a link to a real source. http://www.theskepticalmoth.com/collecting-permits/
The 3 main areas I was talking about are -
1. Public Lands/BLM: Permit usually not required. Most BLM property is governed by the Wilderness Act of 1964 which (with recent updates) has separated scientific from “casual” non-commercial collecting. Under Section 6302.15 “You may remove or disturb natural resources for non-commercial purposes in wilderness areas”. So, collecting is permitted as long as it remains non-commercial, maintains the wilderness environment and is not previously restricted.

2. National Forests: No permit required for recreational collecting. All forests and grasslands are completely free range for collectors.

3. State Parks:Permit required in most states. The only current exceptions that I know of are listed below. Some states will allow recreational collecting at the discretion of the park ranger, and you just have to call ahead and ask or show up with cookies. More often than not a permit will be required. This process hasn’t been too difficult in my experiences in IL or CA, and there are no wacky rules about specimen ownership and getting state-wide access is possible.

You saying that it's illegal and to "NEVER" collect from these areas is completely false and limits ant hunters from great areas to collect ants from.

Martialis

Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:53 pm

What I am doing is lumping both state and national parks together. I've also been told I cannot collect from those areas. It is fact that permits can be difficult to acquire.

I know state/national forests and grasslands are able to be collected from. I plan to visit the sole national forest in my state to ant this year. Thank you for this resource.

I really don't think that collection from those parks the best idea, though.
Keeper of

Selliing:

Batspiderfish

Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:44 pm

Cemeteries can be a good place to look. Just don't go flipping anything over! :lol:
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Martialis

Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:02 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:44 pm
Cemeteries can be a good place to look. Just don't go flipping anything over! :lol:
:lol:

I think that many people might find that objectionable. :)
Keeper of

Selliing:

ultraex2

Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:18 am

Martialis wrote:
What I am doing is lumping both state and national parks together. I've also been told I cannot collect from those areas. It is fact that permits can be difficult to acquire.

I know state/national forests and grasslands are able to be collected from. I plan to visit the sole national forest in my state to ant this year. Thank you for this resource.

Thank you - that's fine and that's your opinion. But, when you tell someone that they'll go to jail for 20 years and it's highly illegal just because you "don't think it's a good idea" that is not okay and it should be up to them to decide if they want to or not.

Martialis

Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:20 am

ultraex2 wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:18 am
Martialis wrote:

Thank you - that's fine and that's your opinion. But, when you tell someone that they'll go to jail for 20 years and it's highly illegal just because you "don't think it's a good idea" that is not okay and it should be up to them to decide if they want to or not.
No, I was told that. This is what happens if you collect without permits in national parks. 20 years is the maximum sentence.
Keeper of

Selliing: