No ants in my area

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

commandertrauma

No ants in my area

Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:57 am

So I've been trying to find ant colonies near my house so I can find out when the nuptial flights are but I can't find one. The only one in my neighborhood hasn't sent workers out in a year and I've never seen a latex fly from it in the three years I've lived here. There are no GAN farmers in Kansas and I can't find any ants any help on where to find them.

shaky33

Re: No ants in my area

Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:03 am

commandertrauma wrote:
So I've been trying to find ant colonies near my house so I can find out when the nuptial flights are but I can't find one. The only one in my neighborhood hasn't sent workers out in a year and I've never seen a latex fly from it in the three years I've lived here. There are no GAN farmers in Kansas and I can't find any ants any help on where to find them.
Is it during winter there, if so the ants are hibernating and wont come out until later. Unless these colonies have died out and you're extremely unlucky.
- Rhytidoponera metallica
- Camponotus consobrinus x2
- **** sp.
- Nylanderia sp.
- Melaphorus sp.
- Camponotus cairns
- Crematogaster sp.
- Colobopsis sp.
- Myrmecia nigrocinta
- Iridomyrmex purpureus
- Camponotus eastwoodi

Martialis

Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:56 am

shaky33 wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:03 am
commandertrauma wrote:
Is it during winter there, if so the ants are hibernating and wont come out until later. Unless these colonies have died out and you're extremely unlucky.
Yes, it's winter in the Northern hemisphere.
Keeper of

Selliing:

commandertrauma

Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:37 pm

Found an ant roaming my house if you could identify it here that would be great otherwise I will post it in the identification section.

P.s. I really hope it's crematogastor

commandertrauma

Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:39 pm

I know I need to attach a phot just hold on please

commandertrauma

Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:54 pm

Here is the best picture I could get of her.

Martialis

Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:41 pm

Looks somewhat like Tetramorium. You can back up and just get a clear photo.
Keeper of

Selliing:

commandertrauma

Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:39 pm

Thank you I can't wait to try and find a queen this year! I will be on the lookout for ants from now on and posting the pictures if they look different

ultraex2

Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:49 pm

If you can't find any in the neighborhood also try googling state parks close to you - those are bound to have some ants.

Martialis

Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:55 pm

ultraex2 wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:49 pm
If you can't find any in the neighborhood also try googling state parks close to you - those are bound to have some ants.
Only thing is.. you can't take those unless you enjoy spending 20 years in prison.
Keeper of

Selliing: