No ants in my area

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

ultraex2

Re: No ants in my area

Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:49 am

Martialis wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:20 am
ultraex2 wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:18 am
Martialis wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:53 pm
What I am doing is lumping both state and national parks together. I've also been told I cannot collect from those areas. It is fact that permits can be difficult to acquire.

I know state/national forests and grasslands are able to be collected from. I plan to visit the sole national forest in my state to ant this year. Thank you for this resource.

I really don't think that collection from those parks the best idea, though.
Thank you - that's fine and that's your opinion. But, when you tell someone that they'll go to jail for 20 years and it's highly illegal just because you "don't think it's a good idea" that is not okay and it should be up to them to decide if they want to or not.
No, I was told that. This is what happens if you collect without permits in national parks. 20 years is the maximum sentence.
First, I specifically mentioned state parks, not national which have completely different rules - some don't even require permission/permit in state parks.

Second, who told you 20 years sentence? It sounds like they just made it up with nothing to back the statement up with. From what I've found trying to research the topic in the US, 99.99% of the time it's just a fine and I can't find anything about anyone going to jail, especially for 20 years.

Martialis

Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:28 pm

ultraex2 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:49 am
Martialis wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:20 am
ultraex2 wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:18 am

Thank you - that's fine and that's your opinion. But, when you tell someone that they'll go to jail for 20 years and it's highly illegal just because you "don't think it's a good idea" that is not okay and it should be up to them to decide if they want to or not.
No, I was told that. This is what happens if you collect without permits in national parks. 20 years is the maximum sentence.
First, I specifically mentioned state parks, not national which have completely different rules - some don't even require permission/permit in state parks.

Second, who told you 20 years sentence? It sounds like they just made it up with nothing to back the statement up with. From what I've found trying to research the topic in the US, 99.99% of the time it's just a fine and I can't find anything about anyone going to jail, especially for 20 years.
I'm done arguing with you. You seem to he intent on proving me wrong, which you've already done. If you want to debate still, find someone else.
Keeper of

Selliing:

Cal113

Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:33 pm

Hey I was wondering is it okay to dig up a ant colony and grab the queen and as many workers as you can? I was wondering more in the moral and immoral perspective.
Keeper of:

x3 Tetramorium caespitum queens (small colonies);
x1 Pogonomyrmex barbatus (med colony)
x1 Formica fusca single queen; (small colony)
x2 Unknown sp.; (founding)
x1 Temnothorax rugatalus (med colony)

Jadeninja9

Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:11 pm

How is this topic not in the Heated & Controversial Ant Debates lol
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Lasius alienus colonies
1x Tetramorium immigrans

Martialis

Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:57 pm

Cal113 wrote:
Hey I was wondering is it okay to dig up a ant colony and grab the queen and as many workers as you can? I was wondering more in the moral and immoral perspective.
Go ahead with invasive species. Leave mature, native colonies alone.
Keeper of

Selliing:

Cal113

Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:52 pm

Martialis wrote:
Cal113 wrote:
What about with immature native colonies that are extremely common around that area?
Keeper of:

x3 Tetramorium caespitum queens (small colonies);
x1 Pogonomyrmex barbatus (med colony)
x1 Formica fusca single queen; (small colony)
x2 Unknown sp.; (founding)
x1 Temnothorax rugatalus (med colony)

Martialis

Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:53 pm

An immature colony would be a queen with nanitic workers.
Keeper of

Selliing:

Batspiderfish

Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:48 pm

Cal113 wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:52 pm
Martialis wrote:
Cal113 wrote:
What about with immature native colonies that are extremely common around that area?
Digging up colonies is needlessly destructive compared to raising foundress queens. You'll need to learn that patience anyways if you are to take care of your colony properly.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

xTNxANTMANx

Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:55 am

Agreed. Plus you will basically do more harm than good digging up an established colony.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

AntViking

Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:13 pm

I'd think it might also depend on location. If there in a inconvenient spot and there future might turn grim. I don't see too much harm in carefully extracting them.