Pls help, colony in danger

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Dghergejg456

Pls help, colony in danger

Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:40 am

My young colony of pheidole sp has just had their second worker, but there is a problem. A lot of brood has disappeared, leaving only 2 larva and 1 pupa. I have tried to feed the colony protein for the queen to lay eggs, but they are not eating. I have fed the queen a large drop of sugar water a few days BEFORE the first workers arrived, but after that, they ate nothing. Pheidole workers have a short lifespan so the colony can easily die out.What can I do to let the queen lay eggs again? Thanks for your help :oops: :oops: :oops:
Ants are better than termites lol

antperson24

Re: Pls help, colony in danger

Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:06 am

Dghergejg456 wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:40 am
My young colony of pheidole sp has just had their second worker, but there is a problem. A lot of brood has disappeared, leaving only 2 larva and 1 pupa. I have tried to feed the colony protein for the queen to lay eggs, but they are not eating. I have fed the queen a large drop of sugar water a few days BEFORE the first workers arrived, but after that, they ate nothing. Pheidole workers have a short lifespan so the colony can easily die out.What can I do to let the queen lay eggs again? Thanks for your help :oops: :oops: :oops:
I am guessing that after the first workers came you started disturbing them more? For the first 3-4 days, newly eclosed workers are still treated as brood within the colony, so disturbing them a lot can, and probably will result in them eating their brood. Don't try feeding them again for about 4 days.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN

Dghergejg456

Re: Pls help, colony in danger

Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:58 am

She just laid some eggs! She laid like 6, which is good. I’m not gonna disturb them for some time
Ants are better than termites lol