Best time to find queens?

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

antperson24

Re: Best time to find queens?

Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:52 am

SitheV wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:08 pm
I went on Imgur instead of google. is this working?
Yep, that's working. Congratulations, you found a Camponotus pennsylvanicus queen!
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN

SitheV

Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:06 am

Thank you.. Thats what I thought they were the the species I was actually looking for lol Both of them but now Im a little concerned. I have them in tubes inside a tupperware tub in my bathroom. (no ac and it stays 75 to 85 in there. lights out checked on them this morning and they are tearing at the cotton trying to get out. are my test tubes to small? I did order bigger ones just in case

antperson24

Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:34 am

SitheV wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:06 am
Thank you.. Thats what I thought they were the the species I was actually looking for lol Both of them but now Im a little concerned. I have them in tubes inside a tupperware tub in my bathroom. (no ac and it stays 75 to 85 in there. lights out checked on them this morning and they are tearing at the cotton trying to get out. are my test tubes to small? I did order bigger ones just in case
They might be a little stressed. Next time try using a flash light and slowly make it brighter, so as not to disturb them.

SitheV

Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:07 am

Ok I will try that. Thank you so much. Right now they are being kept in total darkness I checked this morning and saw one had a good chunk of cotton torn out she did over night. just has me concerned. I will probably move to a bigger tube when they get here just to be safe

antperson24

Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:14 am

SitheV wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:07 am
Ok I will try that. Thank you so much. Right now they are being kept in total darkness I checked this morning and saw one had a good chunk of cotton torn out she did over night. just has me concerned. I will probably move to a bigger tube when they get here just to be safe
Is it really moist in the tube? Camponotus pennsylvanicus like dry nests.

SitheV

Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:16 am

I dont think it is. theres not condensation buildup on the tubes

SitheV

Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:12 pm

I moved them into the larger testtubes much much much bigger test tubes lol Now they have room to move around the others were so small I dont think even workers could have moved. its only been about 20 minutes but they are already seeming more calm. I have them in a box now covered with a towel. Ill leave them be for 3 or 4 days and see what happens. Going hunting for more queens right now wish me luck lol

SitheV

Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:57 pm

Got one more. She had just started a colony 1 worker a few egg and 4 larve. But I think I killed one of the larve and the worker when getting it in a test tube and some dirt got in there as well. Will she still lay workers if the nantitics dont make it as long as I give her a protein source?

antperson24

Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:46 pm

SitheV wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:57 pm
Got one more. She had just started a colony 1 worker a few egg and 4 larve. But I think I killed one of the larve and the worker when getting it in a test tube and some dirt got in there as well. Will she still lay workers if the nantitics dont make it as long as I give her a protein source?

Well, they are actually eggs and pupae. If the worker does not make it give her a small piece of cricket, after that she should be fine.

SitheV

Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:00 pm

Perfect. Thank you so so much for all your help in my madness lol I will be giving her a piece of cricket on sunday I need to go buy a bunch anyways Tarantula feeding day. These glass tubes are so much better more space and I can take clearer pictures lol