Can i feed only honey to odontomachus during the founding process?

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

antsSG

Can i feed only honey to odontomachus during the founding process?

Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:22 am

It is very hard to get feeder insects so is it okay to only feed the odontomachus during the founding process?

Martialis

Re: Can i feed only honey to odontomachus during the founding process?

Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:43 am

antsSG wrote:It is very hard to get feeder insects so is it okay to only feed the Odontomachus during the founding process?
No. The brood need some sort of protein to grow during the founding process. Cooked chicken may work as a substitute.
Keeper of

Selliing:

Serafine

Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:00 am

You can also try fish food.

Batspiderfish

Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:47 am

I'm not sure if Odontomachus would go for fish food, but insects are very important for keeping ants. You might need to learn how to cultivate your own feeder insects (i.e. Drosophila melanogaster, Tenebrio molitor, Acheta domestica, etc.) If you still have trouble finding them, you might be able to capture and raise one of their native equivalents. I know that winged vinegar flies will find you before you could find them.

Honey is a carbohydrate source which almost all ants need. Insects are a protein source which every ant needs (excluding only harvester species.)
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.